Nunawading Spectres Junior Basketball Tournament
Abridged Tournament Rules 2017
(A full set of rules is available at each venue)
1. Under age as at 31st December in the year the Tournament is held – Club Representative to verify ages of Club Entries.
2. Players are restricted to playing in one (1) age group only. The Tournament Committee shall in exceptional circumstances waive this condition if prior approval is applied for.
3. Any number of players may be nominated to represent a Club in a particular team but only ten (10) players are able to play in any one game. .As per VJBL rules Under 18 competition may have twelve (12) players who are able to play in any one game. If more than 10 names (12 for Under 18 only) are listed on the score sheet then those not playing need to be crossed out.
As per rule 13: In all minor games, a player who takes the court must be signed in on the scoresheet by marking ‘X in the ‘ player in ‘ column.
4. Players must play in at least three minor round games to qualify for Semi and Grand Finals. The Tournament Committee shall in exceptional circumstances waive this condition if prior approval is applied for.
5. TEAM QUALIFICATION - The Tournament Committee may limit participants in teams in a particular competition to non - championship players, or players who have gained exemption. Any player who is selected for the Melbourne Classic is not permitted to play in these competitions, playing of an undeclared championship player or disapproved player shall lead to forfeit of games concerned..
6. Grand finals can be played on the Monday up to a 3.00 PM finish and no team will qualify for a semi-final if they are unable to play in the Grand Final. Please note you need to allow at least one & half hours prior to departure check in for any interstate flights after completion of the game and presentations.
7. TIMING RULES/LADDERS:
• Three points will be given for a win, two for a draw, one for a loss, and none for a forfeit. Forfeit score will be 20-0.
• For minor games and lead up Finals, the clock shall only stop during the last two minutes of the second half and this will be for all whistles.
• NO time outs are allowed in the last three minutes of the first half.
• Time outs are allowed during the last two minutes of the second half at which time the clock will stop.
• All minor games AND semi finals shall have two eighteen minute halves. Half time interval will be 2 minutes and time outs shall be of 1 minute duration maximum.
• Each team is allowed 1 time out per half for minor games and 2 time outs per half for finals.
8. GRAND FINALS
Grand Finals, shall have two twenty minute halves and the clock will stop for all time outs. As well, during the last two minutes of the second half, the clock will stop for all whistles.
9. FINALS and LADDERS:
Three points will be given for a win, two for a draw, one for a loss, and zero for a forfeit.
Draws will be recognized in all minor rounds.
Finals - If scores are level at the end of the game, an extra 3 minutes will be played after a one minute break, to achieve a result. All fouls stand. 1 time out for each team is allowed. Clock will stop for all whistles in the last minute.
Any subsequent extra periods will follow the same rule to achieve a result.
10. GRAND FINALS
If two teams finish on equal points then the results of the games played against each other ie. the win / loss record will decide their positions. (Head to Head) as per normal VJBL rules
Where three or more teams finish on equal points their order shall be determined by the "For and Against" percentage of the games played between the teams concerned.
If two of the three teams finish on equal percentage, then the result of the games played against each other ie. the win / loss record will decide their positions.
In a competition of 8 or more teams, where teams do not all play each other, the order will be determined by points first then overall percentage. If teams affected have played each other their order shall be determined by the "For and Against" percentage of the games played between the teams concerned. Where three or more teams finish on equal points and any have not played each other then percentage overall will be used.
In the case of disputes, the matter will be referred to the Disputes Chairperson.
• During Grand Finals, the clock will stop for all time outs. As well, during the last two minutes of the second half, the clock will stop for all whistles.
• Each team is allowed 2 time outs per half.
11. Except where specified, all matches will normally be played under current F.I.B.A. Rules.
The size 6 ball will be used for all Girls/Womens games and under 10, 12, 14 boys teams
12.There is NO 24 second shot clock for any games.
13. In all minor games, a player who takes the court must be signed in on the scoresheet by marking ‘X in the ‘ player in ‘ column.
14. The first half shall begin with a jumpball. In all other jumpball situations, possession shall be given to the team as indicated by the possession arrow.
15. All teams shall have a principal colour singlet and an alternate, both sets of colours must be described on the application form and be available for use at the tournament. The priority of use shall be that the first named (home team) in a game in the fixture shall be entitled to wear their principal singlets.
16. The Tournament Disputes Committee will adjudicate all disputes. These may be reported by referees, coaches or club officials. A "Protest Form" is available from the "Tournament Operations Centre" Nunawading Stadium, and must be lodged with the "Centre" immediately and accompanied by $50.00 bond fully refundable provided the matter is not deemed trivial.
17. FIRST AID / AMBULANCE POLICY.
First Aid and/or medical treatment will be the responsibility of the individual concerned and/or the individuals parent/guardian or team supervisor.
The nearest hospital to each stadium will be displayed at each stadium.
Where the request that an Ambulance is needed to take a player to hospital, the club the player is playing for will be responsible for any ambulance and hospital costs associated with treatment etc.
18. All Stadiums used during this Tournament have a rule of "No swinging on rings or nets" and imposes an immediate ban from the stadium and immediate disqualification from all stadiums for the remainder of the Tournament.
19. Playing numbers 00 – 99 are accepted.
20. SCORING Home team ( 1st named) will usually do the clock and Away team will do the sheet. Scorers can work this out between themselves but if a dispute arises, this rule will enforced.
21. ZONE DEFENCE - UNDER 11, 12, 14 GAMES – Zone defence is discouraged in Under 11, 12 and 14 games. Teams should use ‘ man to man ‘ defence throughout the games except where shown in the Under 11 Mercy Rule.
22. MERCY RULE ALL UNDER 11 GAMES – IF HELD - The Mercy Rule will apply when a team has a 15 points lead. It is compelled to use zone defense within the three-point lines.